This deeply satisfying soup takes only a small amount of chopping and then all the ingredients are simmered together at the same time. The result? A wonderfully hearty soup.
Spiced butternut & split-pea soup
7 cups (1.75 L)
* PLUS Cooking time: 35 minutes
- 1/2 450-g pkg dried yellow split peas
- 1 large butternut squash , peeled and cut into pieces
- 3 carrots , coarsely chopped
- 2 celery stalks , coarsely chopped
- 1 onion , coarsely chopped
- 180 g diced smoked ham steak , about 1 cup
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp ground cumin or coriander
- 900-mL carton chicken broth
- Rinse peas. Drain well. Prepare vegetables and ham. Place all in a large saucepan along with remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until peas are tender, 35 to 40 min. Discard bay leaf. Soup will keep well covered and refrigerated up to 3 days, or frozen up to 3 months.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 14.6 g,
- 32.4 g,
- 1.7 g,
- 841 mg.