Biba from Biba’s Italian Kitchen combines the best that land and sea have to offer in this fast pasta recipe. A hearty spaghetti gets a healthy twist from broccoli and low-fat, high-protein sea scallops that add a wonderful sweet and mild flavor.
Spaghetti with broccoli, scallops and chili peppers
This article has not been rated yet.
4 to 6 servings
- 2 bunches broccoli
- 450-g box spaghetti pasta
- 500 g small sea scallops
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1 cup dry white wine , such as Chardonnay or Graves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp hot-red-chili-flakes
- sprinkling parmesan , or romano cheese
- fresh-ground black pepper , to taste
- Fill a large saucepan two-thirds full of water. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat. Meanwhile, cut stalks from broccoli. Then, peel and slice into 1/2-inch- (1-cm-) thick pieces. Break broccoli head into bite-size florets. Stir broccoli into boiling water and cook, uncovered, until it is barely tender to the touch and has just turned bright green, about 3 minutes. Drain immediately and set aside.
- Refill saucepan with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add spaghetti to rapidly boiling water and boil for minimum amount of time suggested on package, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut scallops in half, horizontally, keeping their round shape.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add scallops and stir-fry until lightly golden on all sides, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add garlic, stirring quickly until it is golden, about 30 to 60 seconds. Add wine and allow sauce to bubble until it is reduced by half, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in broccoli and seasonings, leaving pan on burner and turning off heat.
- Drain hot pasta. Stir into sauce in frying pan or toss together until well mixed in a large, warm pasta bowl. Serve right away topped with grated Parmesan or Romano cheese and a generous grinding of black pepper. Enjoy the rest of the bottle of wine with this pasta and add a mixed green salad on the side.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 26.7 g,
- 66 g,
- 11.4 g,