Smoky corn chowder with bacon
- 6 slices bacon , chopped
- 1 leek , white part only, finely chopped
- 1 russet potato , finely chopped
- 2 cups frozen or canned corn kernels
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 398-mL can creamed corn
- 1 sprig thyme , or 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat a large pot over medium. Add bacon and cook just until crisp, 4 min. Discard all but 1 tbsp of bacon fat. Add leek and sauté until tender, 1 min. Then add potato, corn, broth, milk, creamed corn, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to mediumlow. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, 20 min. Remove thyme and bay leaf before serving. Season with fresh pepper. Soup will keep well in refrigerator up to 2 days, or in freezer, in a covered container, up to a month.
Creamed corn adds richness to this soup without adding a lot of fat.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 12 g,
- 51 g,
- 11 g,
- 5 g,
- 923 mg.