3 3/4 cups
1 1/2 tsp
, about 4 1/2 cups, quartered
, thickly julienned
, finely diced
chipotle in adobo sauce
1 1/2 tsp
coarsely chopped flat-leaf
4 1/4 cups
- Spoon flesh of cooked sweet potato into a medium bowl. Mash with a fork. Measure out 1 cup. Let cool slightly in bowl.
- Stir 3 3/4 cups flour with salt and pepper in a large bowl. Using the back of a fork, mash in 1 cup butter until crumbly. Stir 1 egg and 1/2 cup milk into potato, then add to flour mixture until just combined. Transfer onto a lightly floured surface. Lightly knead dough until it comes together. Form into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add oil, then mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms are tender, about 5 min. Add turnips and carrots and continue cooking until all the liquid has been absorbed and vegetables are just tender, about 5 more min. Stir in peas, then transfer to a large bowl.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in same pan over medium-high. Add onion and cook until soft, about 3 min. Add garlic and cook 1 min. Stir in 1/4 cup flour and cook until deep golden, about 3 min. Whisk in 4 cups milk and cook, stirring, until sauce begins to thicken, about 5 min. Reduce heat to medium and cook, whisking occasionally, until thickened, 7 to 8 min. Remove from heat. Stir in chipotle, salt and parsley. Add to vegetables along with chicken. Season with pepper. Stir until combined.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Remove dough from refrigerator. Divide dough into 2 portions. Roll each portion out on a lightly floured surface until 1/8 in. thick. Invert individual oven-safe bowls on pastry and cut circles around the outside of bowls. Divide filling among the bowls and top each with a pastry round. Press dough around the rim to seal. Beat remaining 2 eggs with 3 tbsp cold water. Brush tops of pastry with egg wash. Sprinkle with pepper. With a knife tip, pierce the middle of pastry in 2 or 3 places to allow steam to escape. Arrange bowls on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake in centre of oven until pastry is golden and filling is bubbly, 23 to 25 min. Let stand about 5 min before serving.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 40 g,
- 74 g,
- 44 g,
- 7 g,
- 1047 mg.
Prep Tip: To quickly cook a sweet potato, pierce it several times with a fork and then microwave on medium, 5 min.
Family-Style Tip: Spoon filling into a 10-in. baking dish. Roll out pastry topping into a 12-in. circle and lay over filling. Fold overhanging pastry edges under rim of dish. Press tines of a fork against edge of pie to help seal. Brush pastry with egg wash and sprinkle with pepper. Cut a steam vent into pastry. Bake in centre of oven until pastry is golden and filling is bubbly, 25 to 30 min.
Adapted from Bobby Flay’s Bar American Cookbook, 2011.