Oven-roasted dinners are easy and usually involve little cleanup. Next time you’re at the market, pick up a selection of your favourite sausages and look for home-made sauerkraut (store-bought sauerkraut also works well). Bake with peppers and onion for a no-fuss dinner.
Sausage, Sauerkraut And Pepper Bake
- 6 sausages , preferably a mixture such as bratwurst, hot Italian, Oktoberfest and market-fresh, smoked farmer's sausages
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 large or 2 small onions
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar , or maple syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cups sauerkraut , drained, or a 1-L bottle sauerkraut
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Slice each sausage diagonally into 3 large pieces. Heat oil in a large frying pan, preferably non-stick, set over medium-high heat. Add sausages to pan. Cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, from 3 to 5 minutes. Remove browned sausages as they are done to an ungreased, 9×13-inch (3-L) baking dish. Meanwhile, chop onion into large chunks. Core and seed peppers. Coarsely chop into 1-inch (2.5-cm) pieces.
- Drain excess fat from pan, leaving about 1 tablespoon (15 mL). Add onion and peppers to pan. Stir-fry until slightly soft, about 2 minutes. Then stir in vinegar, brown sugar and salt.
- Remove pan from heat and pour mixture into dish with sausages. Evenly distribute sauerkraut overtop. Tightly cover dish with foil. Bake in centre of 350F (180C) oven until sausages are cooked through, from 40 to 45 minutes. Stir all together before serving. Great with thick slices of fresh pumpernickel.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 14.8 g,
- 17.5 g,
- 19.8 g,
- 4.9 g,
- 1813 mg.