Roasted-potato, pepper and chorizo hash
Turn this satisfying hash into a main course by topping it with poached or fried eggs and serving it with a salad.
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 chorizo sausages , or italian sausages, about 1 lb
- 1 cup grated cheddar , preferably old
- 2 green onions , sliced diagonally
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C). Lightly coat a large rimmed baking sheet with oil. Chop unpeeled potatoes into ½-in. (1-cm) cubes. Chop pepper into similar-sized pieces. Place both in a large bowl. Sprinkle with paprika, oregano and cayenne. Stir to coat evenly. Turn onto sheet. Roast in centre of oven, uncovered, stirring halfway through, until almost tender, about 40 min.
- Meanwhile, set a large frying pan over medium-high. Slice each sausage in half lengthwise and squeeze meat from casings into heated pan. You don’t need oil. Using a fork, stir frequently to keep meat crumbly. Cook until no longer pink, 4 to 6 min. Remove from heat.
- Remove potato mixture from oven. Stir sausage meat and any juices from pan into potato mixture until combined. Taste and sprinkle with salt and pepper if you wish. Scatter cheese overtop. Continue roasting, uncovered, until potatoes are tender and cheese is melted, about 20 more min. Remove hash to a serving platter and sprinkle with sliced green onions.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 4 g,
- 5 g,
- 6 g,
- 2 g,
- 304 mg.