Roasted Beets with Macadamia PestoBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
1 to 6 Servings
Chef McDonald graciously supplied the recipe for the yummy Roasted Beets we had after a recent O'o farm tour in Maui.
- 500 g skin-on beets , stems removed and scrubbed
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp Arbequina extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup basil leaves , loose pack, fresh
- 2 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp ginger roots , rough chopped
- 1/4 cup macadamia nuts
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- 1/2 cup pine nuts , toasted
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Ground pepper , to taste
- 1 sheet foil
- Place beets on foil, coat in 1 tablespoon of oil, season with 1 tablespoon salt, close foil around beets and place into a 400-degree oven until beets are almost tender when pierced with a toothpick, approximately 1½ hours. Remove them from oven and allow them to steam in foil for approximately 30 minutes. Remove skins and slice beets into desired shapes.
- Make pesto by adding ½ cup oil, basil, garlic, ginger, macadamia nuts and remaining salt into a blender. Puree for about 10 seconds until ingredients are roughly smooth.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium heat; add pesto and beets and cook until warmed, approximately 1 minute. Season with ground pepper and arrange on individual plates or serve in a bowl. Sprinkle feta cheese and raisins over top and serve.