Jamie Oliver's Prawns and Avocado with an Old-School Marie Rose Sauce
This recipe has not been tested by the Chatelaine Test Kitchen.
- 1 or 2 ripe avocado
- 1 bunch of watercress
- all-purpose flour
- 1/2 lb (250 g) peeled, large shrimp
- olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 heaping tsp (7 mL) paprika
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ketchup
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) whisky
- 1 lemon
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Carefully cut your avocado until you hit the stone, then run the knife around it to halve it. Gently twist the two halves and pull them apart. Carefully remove the stone and discard, then peel the skin off and discard that too. Cut the cress. Put a handful or two of flour into a bowl. Drop your shrimp into the bowl of flour and toss until they’re completely coated. To make your sauce, put your mayonnaise into a bowl with the ketchup, a small splash of Worcestershire sauce and the booze. Halve the lemon and squeeze in the juice from one of the halves. Cut the remaining half into wedges for serving. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and mix well. Give it a taste and add a touch more salt, pepper and lemon juice if you think it needs it.
- Get yourself a large pan and place it on medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, pour in 2 good lugs (2 tbsp/30 mL) of olive oil. Bash and break up your garlic cloves with your hand and add these to the pan, immediately followed by your flour-dusted prawns. Toss them well to coat them in the hot oil. Count to ten, then add a pinch of salt and pepper, and the paprika for flavour and colour. Keep tossing your prawns, trying to keep them in a single layer in the pan so they cook evenly, for about 3 to 4 minutes, until crisp and golden.
- Divide your avocado halves between your plates. Divide the cress over the avocados and place the prawns next to them. Drizzle a few good spoonfuls of your Marie Rose sauce over the avocados. Finish with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of paprika. Serve with wedges of lemon for squeezing over. Fantastic!