Beets, oranges and fresh dill are one of my favourite fall salad combinations. I prefer to serve it after the entrée as a mini-course.
Harvest beet salad with tangerines and celeriac
This article has not been rated yet.
6 to 8 servings
- 1/4 cup toasted chopped pecans or hazelnuts
- 8 cups mixed greens , about 250 g
- 1 cup peeled julienned celeriac , or celery root
- 4 cooked (preferably roasted) peeled beets , about 375 g, or 398-mL can beets
- 4 tangerines , clementines or navel oranges
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill , or 1/2 tsp dried dill
- To toast nuts, spread out evenly on a baking sheet. Place in preheated 325F (160C) oven until fragrant and golden, about 10 minutes. If using hazelnuts, rub warm nuts in a clean dishtowel to remove as much of the skin as possible, then coarsely chop.
- Wash and dry greens. Place in a salad bowl. Prepare celeriac. If making ahead, place celeriac on top of greens and cover with a damp paper towel. Refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
- Thinly slice beets. Finely grate enough peel from tangerines to measure 2 teaspoons (10 mL). Peel tangerines and remove any pith. Resting navel on a cutting board, slice into eighths or tenths and remove any visible membranes. Tangerines and beets can be left at room temperature for several hours or refrigerated separately for at least 1 day.
- In a small bowl, whisk oil with peel, vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and pepper. Stir in dill. If making ahead, leave at room temperature for up to 1 day or refrigerate up to 2 days. Just before serving, toss greens, celeriac and tangerines with dressing. Scatter beets and nuts overtop.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 2.7 g,
- 17.2 g,
- 9.4 g,
- 3.4 g,
- 209 mg.