Golden turkey & roasted garlic gravy
This article has not been rated yet.
* PLUS Cooking time: 60 minutes, Roasting Time: 120 minutes
, 5 to 6 kg
, coarsely chopped
- Place neck, gizzard, heart and liver in a small saucepan. Add water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 hour. Reserve liquid and solids separately.
- Meanwhile, rinse turkey under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towels. Peel and sliver 3 garlic cloves. Make small random cuts in turkey skin and insert garlic slivers. Sprinkle with salt and pepper inside and out.
- Place turkey breast-side up in a large roasting pan and bake in a preheated 425F (220C) oven until browned on top, from 25 to 35 minutes. Then, turn turkey breast-side down. Scatter onions, carrots and unpeeled garlic cloves around turkey. Reduce temperature to 325F (160C) and roast 1 hour.
- Pour in 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) reserved cooking liquid and roast for 30 more minutes. Meanwhile, pull meat from neck and cut into small pieces along with liver and heart, if you wish. Remove turkey to a heatproof platter. Keep warm.
- To make gravy, strain pan juices into a saucepan. Skim off and discard fat. Squeeze garlic from peels and mash with a fork. Add chopped meat and some or all of mashed garlic. Simmer 10 minutes. Then, stir in 1 teaspoon (5 mL) cornstarch dissolved in soy sauce. Cook, stirring frequently, until cornstarch is clear, from 2 to 3 minutes. If not thick enough, repeat with 1 teaspoon (5 mL) cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon (15 mL) water. Carve turkey and serve with gravy.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 38.2 g,
- 8.5 g,
- 14.1 g,