Updated Feb 13, 2018Chatelaine
1 1/2 cups
chopped fresh thyme
skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces, about 1 kg
small sweet potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
celery stalk, thinly sliced
red bell pepper, chopped
- PREHEAT oven to 375F. Heat 1 1/2 cups milk with thyme and 1 tsp salt in a large frying pan over medium-high. When simmering, add chicken. Cook, stirring often, until firm, about 6 min. Transfer chicken to a platter. Pour liquid out of pan and set aside.
- RETURN pan to burner. Add oil, then sweet potato, celery, pepper and onion. Stir often until vegetables begin to soften, 2 to 3 min. Transfer vegetables to same platter as chicken.
- Add butter to same pan. Gradually whisk in 1/4 cup flour and cook 1 min. Gradually whisk in poaching liquid. Whisk until sauce is smooth and thickened, 2 to 3 min. Stir in peas, chicken and vegetable mixture. Season with pepper. Stir to combine. Transfer filling into an 8-in.-square baking dish and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Set aside.
- STIR 1 1/4 cups flour with baking powder, sugar and 3/4 tsp salt in a large bowl. Using the back of a fork, mash in butter until crumbly. Stir in cheese. Whisk egg with 1/4 cup milk in a medium bowl. Pour egg mixture into flour and stir until just moistened. Turn out dough onto a floured counter and gently knead until it comes together. Shape into a log about 9 in. long and 2 1/2 in. wide. Slice into 9 rounds. Lay on top of the chicken mixture. Brush tops of dough with more milk.
- BAKE in centre of oven until biscuit tops are dark golden and filling is bubbly, about 25 min. Let stand 10 min before serving.