Campfire french friesBy Chatelaine
Whether you're on a camping trip, or in the mood to cook outside, these fries are best done over a hot fire.
- 3 to 4 cups canola oil
- 3 large russet potatoes , sliced into 1/2-in. slices
- 1 large white onion , cut into 1/2-in. slices
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp salt
- SLICE 3 large russet potatoes into 1/2-in. slices. Cut 1 large white onion into 1/2-in. slices.
- FILL a large pot with 3 to 4 cups canola oil until 1-in. deep. Heat over medium until it reaches 375F on a candy thermometer. Add half the potatoes, then half the onion. Do not crowd pan. Fry, stirring occasionally, until golden and crispy, 12 to 15 min. Remove using a strainer and drain on paper towels. Transfer to a large bowl. Repeat with remaining potatoes and onions.
- TOSS fries and onions with 1 tsp Italian seasoning and 1/4 tsp each garlic salt and salt until coated.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 5 g,
- 41 g,
- 5 g,
- 4 g,
- 124 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin C