Here’s a modern take on traditional spiced roast beef that used to be brined for three weeks before mealtime. Spread a choice roast with a combo of the original spices but roast immediately, then tart it up with a peppery red-wine gravy.
Spiced prime rib of beef with peppered wine sauce
This article has not been rated yet.
12 to 18 servings
- 3 to 3.5 kg prime rib roast of beef , boned and rolled
- 3 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp pickling spice
- 1 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp mace
- 1 1/2 tsp allspice
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups Merlot, rosé or light red wine
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 to 2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- Remove beef from refrigerator and place, fat-side up, in an oiled shallow roasting pan. Whisk 3 tablespoons (45 mL) Dijon with oil until thoroughly blended. Stir in pickling spice, pepper, cinnamon, mace and allspice. Using your hands, spread evenly over fat coating and meat, but coat ends lightly. Do not coat bottom. Let stand, uncovered and at room temperature, for about 3 hours so meat will come to room temperature. Or cover with a tent of foil so it does not touch coating and refrigerate up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before roasting.
- To roast, preheat oven to 325F (160C). Roast meat in centre of 325F (160C) oven, uncovered, until a meat thermometer inserted in centre of meat reads 120F (49C) for rare, approximately 20 minutes per pound (500 g). Remove to a carving board and cover with a tent of foil. Let stand at least 15 minutes before slicing.
- While meat is roasting, prepare sauce. Measure cornstarch and 1/4 cup (50 mL) cold water into a small saucepan. Stir with a spoon until cornstarch is dissolved. Add all of remaining ingredients. Place saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk gently and almost continuously until thickened, from 6 to 8 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand until roast is cooked. Reheat over low heat, stirring often, until hot. Serve sauce in a gravy boat.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 49.4 g,
- 2.9 g,
- 20.4 g,
- 0.3 g,
- 432 mg.