Similar to ice cream, a semifreddo is a creamy frozen dessert. Ideal for making ahead, it’s packed with raspberries and chunks of chocolate for a glamorous and refreshing finish to a rich meal.
Sophisticated raspberry semifreddo
- 300-g pkg unsweetened frozen raspberries , (do not use raspberries in light syrup) or 1 pint fresh raspberries, about 2 cups
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup orange liqueur
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 90 g bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate
- 500-mL container 35% cream , about 2 cups
- Line bottom and sides of a 9×5-inch (2-L) loaf pan with 2 large overlapping pieces of plastic wrap, letting wrap hang over sides of pan. Spread out 1 cup (250 mL) raspberries in base of pan, then place in freezer. Place yolks in top of a double boiler or a medium-size stainless steel bowl that will fit on top of a saucepan. Whisk in liqueur, milk and vanilla until well-mixed. While whisking, slowly add sugar until blended. Place atop of double boiler or stainless steel bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Continuously whisk yolk mixture until light, frothy and pale yellow in colour, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Refrigerate uncovered, until cold.
- Finely chop chocolate into pieces no larger than 1/4 inch (0.5 cm). In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, whip cream until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted. Stir one-quarter of cream into chilled egg mixture. Fold in remaining cream and chocolate until blended and no white streaks remain. Fold in remaining raspberries.
- Remove loaf pan from freezer. Turn berry mixture into pan, filling all corners. Smooth surface, then cover with overhanging pieces of plastic wrap. Freeze until firm, at least 6 hours, but preferably overnight. It will keep well at least 1 month.
- To serve, remove pan from freezer and run a knife around edges. Invert dessert onto a platter. Discard plastic. Let stand at room temperature until semifreddo starts to soften, from 10 to 15 minutes. Place fresh berries on top or drizzle with our Warm Chocolate-raspberry Sauce (also in the Recipe File) before serving. Slice semifreddo at the table. Or for individual servings, place a 3/4-inch (2-cm) slice on each dessert plate and drizzle with sauce.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 3.1 g,
- 17.6 g,
- 21.3 g,
- 2.3 g,
- 20 mg.