These get their kick from orange, lemon and lime. They’re not super sweet, so the fruits’ tang shines through.
1 h 7 min
- 1 orange
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sweetened desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup sifted icing sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , at room temperature
- 2 limes
- 2 lemons
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- FOR base, preheat oven to 350F (180C). Lightly spray or oil bottom and sides of a 9×13-in. (3-L) baking dish. Grate peel from orange and place peel in a food processor. Add flour, coconut and icing sugar and whirl until blended. Add butter. Pulse until coarse crumbs form. Or, in a large bowl, grate peel from orange. Stir with flour, coconut and icing sugar until blended. Using a pastry blender, 2 knives or your fingertips, cut in butter until coarse crumbs form. Press over bottom of baking dish. Base is thin. Bake in centre of preheated oven until lightly golden around edges, from 22 to 25 min. Remove from oven. Then reduce temperature to 325F (160C).
- MEANWHILE, finely grate peel from limes. Then squeeze juice from limes and lemons into a measuring cup. If necessary, add orange juice to measure 3/4 cup (175 mL) of citrus juice. In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Whisk in juice mixture and lime peel. In a medium-size bowl, stir flour with sugar. Then whisk into egg mixture. Pour over hot baked crust. Make sure oven is reduced to 325F (160C), then bake in centre of oven until filling is set, 30 to 35 min. Cool completely on a rack. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before cutting into 2-in. (5-cm) squares. They’ll keep well covered or stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 1 week or in the freezer up to 1 month.