For Garlic Butter Turkey with Roasted Garlic Gravy:
1. Position rack in bottom third of oven, then preheat to 400F. Place a rack in a large roasting pan.
2. Reserve neck from turkey for making broth (recipe below). Pat turkey very dry, inside and out, with paper towels. Combine butter with salt and pepper in a small bowl. Rub butter mixture underneath and over turkey skin, then bend and tuck wing tips under back.
3. Transfer turkey to rack in prepared pan. Cover turkey and pan tightly with foil. Place garlic on a large piece of foil, then rub cut sides with oil. Wrap and place on oven rack. Roast turkey and garlic for 1 hr.
4. Reduce heat to 300F. Remove garlic. Remove foil from turkey and pour broth into pan. Continue roasting, uncovered, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh reads 170F, about 1 hr 40 min more.
5. Transfer turkey to a carving board. Tent loosely with foil and let stand for 30 min. Skim and reserve fat from juice in roasting pan, then pour juice into a measuring cup. Squeeze garlic from skins and mash with a fork.
6. Place roasting pan on 2 stovetop burners over medium. Add 2 tbsp reserved fat, then whisk in our and garlic until smooth. When our starts to turn golden, about 2 min, gradually pour in pan juice, whisking constantly, until thickened, 10 to 15 min. Serve with carved turkey.
For No-Salt Turkey Broth:
1. Cover turkey neck, onion, bay leaves and vegetable scraps with 4 cups water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer, uncovered, for 30 min. Strain and reserve liquid; discard solids.