Updated Nov 2, 2015Chatelaine
- To make pastry melt unsalted butter with shortening and 1/3 cup water in a small saucepan, stirring to combine. Set aside. Stir 3 cups fl our with 1 tsp salt in a large bowl. Beat 1 egg with white from second egg in a small bowl. Reserve yolk from second egg for brushing over pastry. Stir beaten eggs into fl our mixture along with warm butter mixture until dough comes together. Remove a quarter of the dough and shape into a fl at disc. Shape remaining dough into a large fl at disc. Wrap both with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- To make filling sprinkle chicken with 3/4 tsp salt. Season with fresh pepper. Melt 1 tbsp butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add chicken and cook until no pink remains, about 5 min. Transfer chicken to a medium bowl. Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining butter to pan, then leeks. Cook until leeks start to soften, about 5 min. Add mushrooms and garlic. Continue cooking until mushrooms are soft, 4 to 5 min. Stir 1/3 cup fl our into leek mixture, then cream, mustard and thyme. Stir in chicken and any juices along with carrot. Cook until thickened, about 2 min. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Insert the base of a 9-in. springform pan with 2-in. sides, lip-side down . Lightly spray with oil. Set aside.
- Dust counter and rolling pin with fl our. Roll larger dough disc into a 1/8-in.-thick circle, about 16 to 17 in. wide. Pastry may appear marbled. Press into prepared pan with dough overhanging 1/2 in. over edges. Press dough against sides. Roll smaller disc into a 1/8-in.-thick circle, about 9 in. wide. Scrape chicken mixture into pan. Top with 9-in. pastry circle. Fold overhanging pastry edges over top pastry. Crimp together. Make 4 1-in. holes in top, for steam to escape . Beat reserved egg yolk with 1 tsp water and brush over pastry. Sprinkle poppy seeds overtop.
- Bake on a baking sheet in centre of oven until pastry is golden and chicken mixture is bubbly, 50 to 55 min. Lay a piece of foil overtop after 30 min to prevent overbrowning. Transfer to a rack. Let stand for 10 min. Run a knife around the edge of the pan and remove ring. Slice into 6 wedges. Serve immediately.
NutritionCalories 696, Protein 26 g, Carbohydrates 64 g, Fat 38 g, Fibre 4 g, Sodium 860 mg.
Prep tip: Slice dark-green tops and root ends from leeks. Discard. Slice leeks in half, lengthwise. Fan out and rinse under cold running water to remove any grit.
Ingredient tip: Although we tested this pie with an all-butter pastry and it turned out beautifully, we preferred the flavourful flakiness of the crust that resulted from using equal parts butter and shortening.