Chestnut and sausage stuffingBy Chatelaine
Leftovers? What leftovers? This sweet and savoury stuffing is the perfect complement to our honey and herb turkey. (And will disappear lightning-fast.)
- 675 g unsliced loaf white bread , cut into 1-in. cubes
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 375-g maple breakfast sausages , casings removed
- 2 small onions , finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks , finely chopped, about 1 1/2 cups
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 100-g pkgs peeled and roasted chestnuts
- 1 cup no-salt chicken broth
- POSITION oven racks in top and bottom thirds of oven. Preheat to 350F. Arrange bread cubes in 1 layer on 2 large baking sheets. Toast in top and bottom thirds of oven, switching sheets halfway through and stirring occasionally, until golden and dry, 15 to 18 min. Transfer to a large bowl. Reduce heat to 325F.
- HEAT a large pot over medium-high. Add oil, then sausage meat. Using a wooden spoon, break up meat until crumbly. Cook, stirring often, until no pink remains, 3 to 5 min. Reduce heat to medium. Add onions, celery, butter and salt. Cook, uncovered, stirring often, until onion is soft, about 5 min. Season with fresh pepper. Stir in toasted bread and chestnuts. Drizzle with broth, stirring to combine. Transfer to a large baking dish.
- BAKE in bottom third of oven until hot, about 30 min.
Reheat stuffing in a 325F oven for 25 to 30 min, stirring halfway through, before serving.
Pair with our Honey and herb turkey recipe for best results. Get the recipe here.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 12 g,
- 49 g,
- 19 g,
- 3 g,
- 747 mg.
- Excellent source of