Updated Jan 26, 2016Chatelaine
1 1/4 cups
cold unsalted butter
3 to 4 tbsp
vanilla ice cream, or vanilla custard
cold unsalted butter, cubed
- WHIRL 1 1/4 cups flour with granulated sugar and 1/2 tsp salt in a food processor. Add 1/2 cup butter. Pulse until crumbs form. With machine still running, add water through the spout, 1 tbsp at a time, until dough comes together, 30 sec. Flatten into a disc. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 min.
- POSITION rack in lower third of oven. Preheat to 375F. Place a 9-in. pie plate on a baking sheet.
- STIR oats with 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1/4 tsp salt in a medium bowl. Add 1/2 cup butter and work in, using your fingertips, until crumbly.
- TOSS apples with 1/2 cup brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and 1/8 tsp salt in a large bowl until evenly coated. Add half the crumble mixture and toss until combined.
- ROLL out pastry disc, on a lightly floured surface, into a 13-in. circle. Lift onto pie plate. Press dough over bottom and up sides of pan, leaving 1-in. overhang. Tuck pastry edge under itself and crimp together using your index finger and thumb, or press around edges using the tines of a fork. Scrape apple mixture into pastry. Sprinkle remaining crumble mixture over apples.
- BAKE in lower third of oven, covered with foil, 20 min. Remove foil and continue baking until golden, 40 to 50 more min. Transfer pie to a rack to cool completely, 1 hour. Serve with vanilla ice cream or vanilla custard, if desired.
NutritionCalories 356, Protein 4 g, Carbohydrates 44 g, Fat 19 g, Fibre 2 g, Sodium 209 mg. Excellent source of Vitamin A
Our homemade vanilla custard makes the perfect complement for this apple crumble pie. Get the recipe.