Divine also describes Nick Malgieri’s hefty new book, simply titled Chocolate (HarperCollins). His dense flourless chocolate creation with orange or raspberry liqueur is a perfect make-ahead dessert for a dinner party or to tote to a gathering.
This article has not been rated yet.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 12 squares semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate , coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup Cointreau , Chambord or other sweet liqueur
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup 35% cream
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- fresh strawberries , other berries or soft fruit, such as mango or banana
- Preheat oven to 325F (160C). Butter an 8-inch (20-cm) round cake pan. Cut a piece of waxed or parchment paper to fit bottom. Place inside and butter paper. Find a roasting pan or baking pan large enough to hold cake pan. In a saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil over medium heat, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until crystals are dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in butter and chocolate. Let stand 5 minutes, then whisk until smooth.
- Whisk liqueur into chocolate mixture still in saucepan. Then whisk in eggs, one at a time, just until smooth. Do not overmix. Pour into prepared pan. Set inside roasting pan. Pour about 1 inch (2.5 cm) warm water into roasting pan. Bake in centre of 325F (160C) oven until cake is set in centre and appears slightly dry like brownies, from 50 to 55 minutes. Remove cake pan from water-filled pan and set on a rack. Cool to room temperature, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold, at least 1 hour or preferably overnight. Covered and refrigerated, cake will keep well for 2 to 3 days. We do not recommend freezing cake.
- To serve, run a knife around edges of cold cake. Invert onto a serving plate and remove paper from bottom. To make topping, using a whisk or electric mixer, softly whip cream with 2 tablespoons (30 mL) sugar in a small mixing bowl. Spread over top of cake and decorate with fruit. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Cake is best served on day it is coated with whipped cream.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 5.8 g,
- 37.7 g,
- 33.5 g,
- 2.2 g,
- 54 mg.