Spicy sausage and rapini melt recipeBy Chatelaine
Our modern take on the sloppy joe! Start with crusty bread, then pile on the hot Italian sausage and rapini mixture, and top each sandwich with mozzarella.
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 canned artichoke hearts , drained and finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp hot-red-chili-flakes
- 3 hot Italian sausages , casings removed
- 1 bunch rapini , trimmed and chopped
- 4 crusty buns
- 4 slices mozzarella , about 1/4-in. thick
- banana peppers , for garnish
- Position rack in upper third of oven. Preheat broiler.
- Stir mayo with artichokes and chili flakes in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Crumble sausage into pan. Cook until browned, about 5 min. Add rapini, stirring in more as it wilts, 5 to 7 min.
- Slice buns in half. Place bottom halves on a baking sheet and spread each with 1 tbsp mayo mixture. Divide sausage mixture among bottom buns, then top each with a cheese slice. Broil until cheese melts, 1 to 2 min. Top with banana pepper. Spread top bun halves with remaining mayo mixture and place over each sausage and rapini melt. Serve hot.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 25 g,
- 39 g,
- 34 g,
- 5 g,
- 986 mg.
Here’s a rich red that’s like a taste of Tuscan sunshine. Traditional methods of winemaking, including months of barrel aging, make it food-friendly with balanced fruit, acid and ripe tannins. Our pick: Gabbiano Chianti Classico, Italy, $15.