Seafood saffron risotto with fennel
This article has not been rated yet.
- 2 236-g bottles clam juice
- 500 g fresh mussels , scrubbed and beards removed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2-Jan small fennel bulb , chopped
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tsp crumbled saffron threads
- 1/2 340-g pkg frozen raw shrimp , peeled and thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Combine clam juice with 1 1/2 cups water in a large saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Add mussels and salt. Cover and cook until mussels open, about 2 min. Scoop out mussels into a bowl. Discard any that do not open. Set aside. Then reduce heat to low to keep warm.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium. Add garlic and fennel and cook, stirring frequently, until fennel is soft but not browned, 3 to 4 min. Add rice and stir until glossy, about 1 min. Add wine and saffron. Stir often until rice has absorbed all of the liquid, 1 to 2 min. Add 1/2 cup of broth mixture. Stir often until rice has absorbed most of the liquid, 4 to 6 min. Continue adding broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, until absorbed. Keep heat between medium and medium-low so mixture is just simmering. Stir in shrimp with the last 1/2 cup of broth. Continue stirring until rice is just tender to the bite. Discard excess liquid from mussels, then stir into risotto until they warm through, about 3 min. The entire stirring and cooking process will take about 25 to 28 min. Risotto should be slightly saucy but not soupy. Remove from heat. Stir in parsley. Serve immediately.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 15 g,
- 44 g,
- 8 g,
- 1 g,
- 717 mg.