Our hearty sauce tastes as though it’s been simmering all day. Little will they know it cooks up so quickly, and it’s sure to go with any pasta in your cupboard.
Sausage and tomato ragout
- 1 onion , chopped
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 to 5 mild or hot Italian sausages , about 500 g
- 1/2 cup white or red wine
- 796 mL can plum tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 450-g pkg rotini or rigatoni pasta
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
- To cook pasta, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, prepare onion and garlic. Heat oil in a large, wide frying pan over medium heat. Remove sausage from casings and add meat to frying pan along with onion and garlic. Stir frequently to break up meat until it is no longer pink, about 6 min. Then stir in wine. Boil gently, stirring occasionally, until wine has evaporated, 3 to 4 min.
- Add tomatoes along with juices. Break up tomatoes with a fork. Stir in sage and thyme. Boil gently, uncovered, until thickened slightly, 15 to 20 min.
- After sauce has cooked about 10 min, add pasta to boiling water. Cook following package directions, from 10 to 12 min. Then drain well and serve with sauce and a generous sprinkling of Parmesan.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 38 g,
- 97 g,
- 36 g,
- 7 g,
- 1212 mg.