We raided the Test Kitchen pantry and fridge and came up with this mixture of spicy sausages, chicken, olives, garlic and spices. It was so good, this dish is now a staple in our homes!
Salsa chicken and sausages
This article has not been rated yet.
6 to 8 servings
- 12 chicken drumsticks , without thighs, or skinless, bone-in chicken thighs or 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 6 sausages , such as Italian
- vegetable oil
- 1 large onion
- 1/2 cup green olives
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives
- 5 garlic cloves , minced, or 1 tbsp bottled chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup chicken broth , or bouillon
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano or marjoram leaves
- 1/2 cup sour cream , optional
- Remove and discard skin from drumsticks. To do this easily, use a paper towel to grasp skin, then peel back. If using chicken breasts, cut into thirds. Cut sausages in half crosswise. Lightly coat a large wide saucepan with oil and set over medium heat. Add sausages. Turn often until browned, about 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice onion in half. Place cut side down on a cutting board. Thinly slice into strips. Pit olives and slice in half. As sausages brown, remove to a large plate. When all sausages are removed from saucepan, add chicken. Add more oil, if needed. Turn occasionally until lightly browned, 4 minutes. Remove to plate with sausages.
- Add onion, olives, garlic, broth and wine to saucepan. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any brown bits from pan bottom. Stir in salsa, paprika and oregano. Return sausages and chicken with any juices to saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sausages and chicken are cooked through, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream until mixed. Great with pumpernickel bread. Mixture will keep well, covered and refrigerated, up to 3 days or freeze up to 2 months. To serve later, defrost and reheat in the microwave. Or place in a saucepan with a little water to prevent burning. Stir often over medium-low heat until hot.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 29.6 g,
- 5 g,
- 27.1 g,
- 1.1 g,
- 1199 mg.