Updated Nov 24, 2014Chatelaine
thin asparagus, trimmed and cut in half crosswise
shallots, thinly sliced
chopped fresh tarragon
skinless, boneless trout fillets, about 300-g each
extra-virgin olive oil
baby arugula, about 7 cups
white wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium. Add asparagus and cook until just tender, 2 to 3 min. Transfer asparagus to a plate. Add shallots to same pan and cook, stirring occasionally until soft, 5 to 6 min. Stir in tarragon, cream, vermouth, Dijon and 1/4 tsp salt. Cook for 2 more min then remove from heat.
- Pat fish dry with paper towels. Cut each fillet in half lengthwise. Flip fish so the side that had skin on it faces up. Spread a layer of shallot mixture over each piece of fish. Divide asparagus and lay across widest end of each. Roll tightly towards the tail end and fasten with a toothpick. Lay each roll on prepared sheet and brush tops with 1 tbsp oil. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt.
- Bake in centre of oven until a knife tip inserted into thickest part of fish and held for 10 sec comes out warm, 15 to 20 min.
- Toss arugula with vinegar, remaining oil and remaining salt. Season with pepper. Divide among plates and top with trout.
Ask the fishmonger or fish-counter person to remove the skin from trout.
For all your Holiday must-haves click here for our Shopping List.