For best results, slice your onions as thinly as possible. Even use a mandolin if you have one. I like a touch of chili flakes, but a teaspoon of coriander seeds or pickling spice are very nice in this easy pickle.
Quick-pickled Vidalia onionsBy Kristen Eppich
Vidalia onions are a seasonal treat: Seeing them pop up in farmers' markets and grocery stores is a sure sign of spring.
- 2 finely sliced Vidalia onions , about 450 g
- 1 1/2 cups rice-wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch hot-red-chili-flakes
- PACK onions into two 500 ml jars, or one 1 L jar.
- BRING vinegar, water, sugar, salt and chilies to a boil in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Pour hot liquid over onions into jars, leaving 1/4 inch space from the top. Let cool to room temperature.
- CLOSE jars and store refrigerated. Onions will keep for up to 10 days.