Poached eggs over sautéed greens and toast
Our open-faced sandwich, with a soft poached egg, salty prosciutto and hearty greens, makes a light and savoury meal. If you're starved, poach two eggs for each sandwich.
- olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove , thinly sliced
- 142-g pkg baby spinach , or dandelion greens, about 8 cups
- generous pinch nutmeg
- squeeze lemon juice
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 to 4 eggs
- 2 large slices bread , such as multi-grain, focaccia or ciabatta
- 2 slices prosciutto , or thinly sliced Black Forest ham
- Lightly coat a large frying pan with oil. Set over medium-low. Add garlic. Sauté until golden. Add spinach, nutmeg and pinches of salt and pepper. Increase heat to medium-high. Sauté until greens are wilted, 1 to 3 min. Squeeze juice overtop. Turn heat off. Leave pan on burner to keep warm until eggs are ready.
- Meanwhile, poach eggs by filling a wide pot with about 2 in. (5 cm) of water. Add vinegar. Bring to a boil over high. Then reduce heat to low so water is barely simmering. Crack an egg into a small dish. Slip egg into water. Repeat with remaining egg. Simmer, uncovered, until whites are set and yolks are done as you like, 3 to 4 min. Meanwhile, toast bread. Using a slotted spoon, remove eggs one at a time and dab whites with paper towel to absorb water. Top each piece of toast with prosciutto, sautéed greens and egg.
Chatelaine Basics: How to poach eggs
Nutrition (per serving)
- 12 g,
- 11 g,
- 9 g,
- 2 g,
- 386 mg.