This meatless mincemeat is amazing–use it in tarts or pies or simply spoon it over pound cake and ice cream for a speedy dessert.
5 cups (1.25 L)
* PLUS Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 6 pears , about 1.25 kg
- 1 apple , preferably Granny Smith
- 1 large lemon
- 1 large orange
- 1 cup sultana raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries , or currants
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts , or pecans
- 1/2 cup cognac , apple or pear brandy (optional)
- Peel, core and chop pears. You should have about 6 cups (1.5 L). Place in a large saucepan. Peel, core and chop apple and add to pear. Finely grate peel from lemon, then squeeze out 1/4 cup (50 mL) juice. Add to fruit in saucepan. Finely grate peel from orange, then squeeze out 1/2 cup (125 mL) juice. Add to saucepan. Stir in raisins, cranberries, sugar, spices and salt.
- Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. Then cover, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes. Uncover and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture is very thick, about 40 more minutes. Stir frequently near end of cooking, when it’s thick. Then stir in walnuts and cognac, if using. Cook, stirring often, for 5 more minutes.
- Spoon mixture into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/2-inch (1-cm) headspace. Seal jars with 2-piece lids. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. It will keep in cool conditions for several months. (For processing tips, visit www.homecanning.com/can).
Nutrition (per serving)
- 0.5 g,
- 11.6 g,
- 1.1 g,
- 1.1 g,
- 2 mg.