Old-fashioned Valentine's cake
This article has not been rated yet.
* PLUS Cooking time: 7 minutes, Baking Time: 25 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups cake-and-pastry flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cherry juice , drained from maraschino cherries
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp almond flavouring
- 2 egg whites , use yolks in Lemon-Curd Cake Filling
- 10 maraschino cherries , drained and chopped
- 1 cup chopped nuts , such as almonds or pecans
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 egg yolks , beaten
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Grease two 9-inch (23-cm) round or heart-shaped cake pans. Then, sprinkle lightly with flour. Shake until pan is evenly coated with flour, then shake out excess. Measure flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl. Stir with a fork until blended. Make a well in centre and add shortening, milk, cherry juice, vanilla and almond flavoring. Using an electric beater, beat at medium-high speed for 2 minutes. Add unbeaten egg whites and beat for 2 more minutes, scraping down sides of bowl frequently. Fold in cherries and nuts. Pour into greased pans and smooth tops. Bake in centre of preheated oven until centres of cakes spring back when lightly touched, or a cake tester inserted into centres comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Leave cakes in pans and place on a rack to cool.
- Using a knife, loosen cakes around edges and turn out of pans. Place 1 layer on a serving plate. Spread with Lemon-curd cake filling (see below) and cover with second cake layer. Frost with pink 7-minute frosting (this recipe is available in our Recipe File). Because this icing is very fluffy, it’s best to serve cake the same day it is made.
- For filling: Stir sugar with cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Stir in lemon juice, peel and water. Cook mixture, stirring constantly, over medium heat until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in butter, then beaten egg yolks. Return to heat. Stir constantly until thickened, about 2 minutes. Pour into a mixing bowl and place plastic wrap on surface of filling. Refrigerate at least until lukewarm, about 25 minutes.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 5.6 g,
- 55.1 g,
- 15.6 g,