We often justify eating this famous brunch, believing we’re saving calories by poaching the eggs. But with all that artery-clogging butter sauce, we’d be better off eating them fried. This version uses a lighter sauce made with sour cream or yogurt (don’t worry, it’s still creamy and decadent), so this dish needs no justification — just an appetite!
New eggs benedict
This article has not been rated yet.
2 to 4 servings with 1/3 cup (75 mL) sauce
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup light sour cream , or low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp finely chopped shallots
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp warm water
- 1/4 tsp dried tarragon
- generous pinch salt
- pinch paprika
- 1 tbsp white vinegar , or freshly squeezed lemon juice
- olive oil
- 4 slices peameal bacon
- 4 eggs
- chopped chives , optional
- Squeeze 1/2 tsp (2 mL) juice from lemon into a medium-size bowl. Whisk in sour cream, shallots, oil, water, tarragon, salt and paprika. Taste and add more lemon juice, if needed. If making ahead, cover and refrigerate up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before using.
- Meanwhile, fill a wide saucepan with about 2 inch (5 cm) water. Add vinegar and bring to a boil over high heat. To cook bacon, lightly oil a large frying pan and set over medium-high heat. Add bacon. Cook until golden-tinged, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove pan from heat.
- Once water boils, reduce heat to low so water is barely simmering. Crack an egg into a small dish, then slip into water. Repeat with remaining eggs. Simmer, uncovered, until whites are set and yolks are done as you like, 2 to 4 minutes. To serve, place 1 or 2 pieces of bacon on each plate. Using a slotted spoon, remove eggs, one at a time, and dab whites with paper towel to absorb as much water as possible. Place 1 egg on a piece of bacon. Repeat with remaining eggs. Spoon about 1-1/2 tbsp (22 mL) sauce over each egg. Sprinkle with chives. Delicious with toasted whole wheat English muffins or with salad made with spinach, tomato and red onion.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 12.9 g,
- 2.7 g,
- 10.4 g,
- 0.1 g,
- 434 mg.