Modern beef stroganoffBy Chatelaine
This rich yet homey comfort food features thin slices of sautéed beef and cremini mushrooms over noodles.
- 500 g beef strips or fast fry steaks , cut into thin strips
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- 227-g pkg sliced cremini mushrooms
- 5 cups no-yolk egg noodles
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup 35% cream
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- BOIL a large pot of water for noodles.
- TOSS meat with flour, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until well coated.
- MELT 2 tbsp butter in a large non-stick frying pan set over medium-high. Add meat and stir for about 3 min. Transfer to a bowl. Add remaining butter to pan, then onion and mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms start to soften, about 4 min.
- ADD noodles to boiling water and cook, following package directions. Add wine to mushrooms and cook until absorbed, about 3 min. Add cream and return meat and any juices to pan. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until sauce starts to thicken, about 2 min. Stir in thyme. Drain noodles and serve meat sauce overtop.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 39 g,
- 44 g,
- 36 g,
- 4 g,
- 497 mg.
An organic wine from the south of France that exhibits both blackberry and strawberry on the nose leads to a generous palate with surprising structure to complement this rich dish. Our pick: Gilles Louvet O Pinot Noir, France, $14.