Loaded Polish potato perogies
Loaded with cheddar, bacon and potatoes, all we can say is mmmmmm!
4 1/4 cups
1 1/2 cups
1 1/2 cups
, cubed, at room temperature
large Yukon Gold
, peeled and quartered, about 750g
1 1/2 cups
coarsely grated old
- Stir 4 cups flour with salt in a large bowl. Whisk eggs with 1 cup sour cream in a medium bowl, then stir into flour mixture along with butter until dough comes together. Knead dough on a lightly floured counter, dusting with more flour, until it is smooth and not sticky.
- Divide dough into 2 portions, pat into 2 discs and wrap each with plastic wrap.
Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. (Dough can be refrigerated up to 2 days.)
- Boil potatoes in a large pot of water until soft, about 20 min.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium. Add bacon and cook until crisp, 3 to 5 min. Drain on paper-towel-lined plate. Do not clean pan. Reserve 1/4 cup green onions for garnish. Add remaining green onions to bacon fat. Cook until soft, 1 to 2 min. Transfer to plate with bacon.
- Drain cooked potatoes, then return to the pot. Mash potatoes with bacon, cooked onions, cheese, salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Dust counter with remaining cup flour. Roll out 1 disc of dough until 1/8 in. thick. Cut out 2 1/2-in.-wide circles with a cookie cutter (or drinking glass). keep dough covered with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out. Scoop a heaping tsp of filling onto each round and fold the dough over, forming a half moon. Pinch edges tightly to seal. if dough won’t seal, dab edges with water. Gather scraps of dough, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Repeat with remaining disc of dough. Gather up scraps, combine with dough from refrigerator, re-roll and cut out more circles.
- Fill same large pot with water and bring to a boil. slip about 12 perogies into boiling water and cook 5 to 6 min. Once perogies float to the top, remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a platter. Repeat with remaining perogies. Pat dry and serve topped with remaining 1/2 cup sour cream and reserved green onions. Or melt butter in a frying pan and fry perogies in batches, adding more butter if needed, until crispy, 2 min per side. Top with sour cream and green onions.
Nutrition (per perogie)
- 2 g,
- 8 g,
- 4 g,
- 82 mg.