This article has not been rated yet.
Borrowing an idea from nachos, we stirred our favourite toppings — grated nippy cheddar, pickled peppers and chopped tomatoes — into a can of potato soup for a simple hearty supper.
- 284 mL can cream of potato soup
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar , preferably extra-old
- 1 to 2 tsp chopped pickled jalapenos
- 1 plum tomato
- 1 green onion
- In a large saucepan set over medium heat, stir soup with milk. Stir or whisk occasionally until hot, from 8 to 10 min. Meanwhile, grate cheese. Coarsely chop jalapenos and tomato. Thinly slice green onion on the diagonal.
- When soup is hot, gradually stir in 1 cup (250 mL) grated cheese until melted. Then stir in jalapenos and tomato. Ladle into warm bowls or mugs. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and green onion. Serve with a whole-wheat or multi-grain baguette or nacho chips for dunking.
- Kitchen note: The trick to turning an everyday soup into a nutritious dinner is boosting the protein. Try stirring drained canned beans, chickpeas or lentils or chunks of feta into a tomato soup; adding canned salmon or tuna to a cream soup; or crumbling blue cheese into a carrot or squash soup.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 20 g,
- 22 g,
- 28 g,
- 1 g,