Inspired Portuguese chicken
This article has not been rated yet.
* PLUS Cooking time: 5 minutes, Marinating Time: 720 minutes, Roasting Time: 50 minutes
, or legs
- Remove and discard any loose fat from chicken. Slash skin in several spots to a depth of about 1/8 inch (0.3 cm) so marinade will penetrate. Place chicken in a large resealable plastic bag or dish just large enough to hold pieces snugly.
- Finely grate peel from 1 lemon, then squeeze juice from both. In a small bowl, stir peel with juice, wine, oil, paprika, cayenne and salt. Pour over chicken. Seal bag or cover dish. Refrigerate for 1 day or overnight. Turn chicken partway through marinating.
- When ready to roast, preheat oven to 375F (190C). Drain marinade into a small saucepan. Grease a shallow-sided roasting pan, such as a broiling pan, or coat with cooking spray. Place chicken bone-side down in pan. Roast, uncovered, in centre of 375F (190C) oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring marinade to a boil over medium-high heat. Let bubble until reduced by half, from 5 to 10 minutes. When chicken has roasted 30 minutes, baste with some of reduced marinade. Continue roasting, basting several times, for 20 minutes. If you want to crisp skin, turn oven to 450F (230C) and roast for 10 to 15 more minutes, until browned.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 29.3 g,
- 1.2 g,
- 12.7 g,
- 0.1 g,
This spicy juicy chicken goes well with oven-roasted fries and cool coleslaw