Updated Nov 24, 2014Chatelaine
- Cover potatoes with water in a large pot. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium. gently boil, partially covered, until soft, about 30 min. Drain and rinse with cold running water. Peel potatoes, then cut into large chunks. Use a ricer to mash until very fine. set aside on a baking sheet to cool slightly. stir 1 tbsp butter, salt and egg into potatoes until smooth. Refrigerate until completely cool, about 1 hour. stir in 1 cup flour just until combined. turn dough out onto counter. knead dough, adding 1/2 cup flour, until smooth. Let stand, covered with plastic wrap, for 30 min.
- Melt remaining butter in a large frying pan over medium. add bread crumbs and stir often until slightly brown, about 4 min. Remove from heat, then stir in sugar and cinnamon. set aside to cool. Fill potato pot three-quarters full of water and bring to a boil.
- Sprinkle the counter with remaining flour. Roll out dough into a 12 × 12-in. square about 1/2 in. thick. Cut dough into 16 3 × 3-in. squares. Put 1 tsp plum jam in centre of a square of dough. Pull the corners together to make a dumpling, making sure not to leave any gaps. Pinch edges to seal. Repeat with remaining dough and jam.
- Slip dumplings, 1 at a time, into the boiling water. Do not crowd the pot. Using a slotted spoon, move dumplings around to prevent sticking. When the dumplings rise to the surface, let them cook 4 to 5 more min. Remove with a slotted spoon and dab on paper towels to remove excess water.
- Drop hot dumplings into the crumbsugar mixture. Carefully roll them around until they are well coated. Dust with icing sugar and serve immediately.