Herbed chicken meatballs with spaghetti
A twist on the classic spaghetti and meatballs, you'll love this herbed chicken variation. Top with Parmesan cheese and enjoy!
- 1 slice white bread
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 500 g ground chicken
- 1/2 cup finely chopped chives , or 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mint , optional
- 1/2 450-g pkg spaghetti, fusilli or rotini pasta
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 plum tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup dry red or white wine
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan
- If crust on bread is hard, cut it off and discard. Tear bread into small pieces and place in a small bowl. Add milk and mash with a fork until pasty.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg with Dijon, Worcestershire sauce, oregano and 1/2 tsp (2mL) salt until blended. Stir in the bread mixture. Crumble in chicken. Sprinkle with 2 tbsp (30mL) each chives and mint (if using). Using your hands or a fork, work just until evenly mixed.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high head. Meanwhile, lightly coat a large frying pan with oil and set over medium heat. Slightly dampen your hands and roll meat mixture into 1 in (2.5cm) balls, adding to the oil as each is formed. Don’t crowd pan. The meatballs will need to be cooked in at least 2 batches. Turn often until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove each to a large plate when done. Repeat with remaining meatballs, adding more oil to pan if needed.
- While meatballs are browning, add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package directions until al dente, 7 to 9 minutes. Mince garlic and chop tomatoes. When all meatballs are removed from pan, add garlic, tomatoes and 1/4 tsp (1mL) each salt and pepper. Stir frequently until tomatoes start to break down, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour in wine. Scrape up and stir in any brown bits from pan bottom. Cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until tomatoes become saucy, about 4 minutes. Add meatballs. Cover and stir often until they are cooked through, 2 to 4 more minutes.
- Drain cooked pasta, then stir, along with parmesan, into tomato-meatball mixture. Serve in individual bowls sprinkled with remaining herbs.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 41 g,
- 52 g,
- 22 g,
- 4 g,
- 382 mg.