Kitchen Tip: Make croutons by tearing up day-old bread into 2 cups of bite-sized pieces, then tossing with 1 tbsp olive oil on a baking sheet. Bake at 400F until toasted, 5 to 6 min.
Hearty Tuscan soupBy Chatelaine
Prepped in 10, ready in 30. Serve with a Tuscan red wine.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth , or vegetable broth
- 1 540-mL can navy beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 398-mL can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups packed chopped kale
- 2 cups homemade or store-bought croutons
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- HEAT a large pot over medium. Add oil, then onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 min. Add broth, 1 cup water, beans and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, for 10 min. Stir in kale and continue simmering until kale is just tender, about 5 more min.
- LADLE soup into 4 bowls. Sprinkle with croutons, basil and parmesan.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 20 g,
- 45 g,
- 9 g,
- 9 g,
- 1 mg.
Hearty tomato & bean Soup, Pair it with: A Tuscan red.
The often astringent sangiovese grape is softened with cabernet sauvignon and merlot, rendering it juicy and approachable. Aromas of blackberries, leather and fennel make it a perennial favourite. Our pick: Monte Antico Toscana, Italy, $16.