Hearty pasta and bean soupBy Chatelaine
This steamy soup brings a taste of Italy to you at home. For an authentic finish, pair it with toasted, garlicky bread, drizzled in olive oil.
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 1 1/3 cups finely diced pancetta , about 150 g
- 2 red potatoes , peeled and diced
- 2 900-mL cartons no-salt chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 cups macaroni pasta
- 540-mL can romano beans , or borlotti, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 4 slices Italian bread , toasted
- 1 garlic clove , cut in half
- HEAT a large pot over medium. Add 1 tbsp oil, then onion and pancetta. Cook until onion is soft, about 3 min. Add potatoes, broth, salt and rosemary. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 15 min.
- ADD pasta and continue cooking until pasta is tender, about 8 min. Stir in beans. Ladle soup into bowls and top with parmesan and parsley. Drizzle with 1 tbsp oil. Serve with toasted bread rubbed with garlic and drizzled with remaining 1 tbsp oil.
How to dice an onion
Nutrition (per serving)
- 23 g,
- 59 g,
- 16 g,
- 6 g,
- 988 mg.