This makes a big batch of hearty soup! Tuck smaller portions in the freezer for a comforting lunch or a speedy warm-you-up dinner after football or hockey.
Harvest tortellini chowder
10 cups (2.5 L)
- 900-mL carton chicken broth , or 4 cups chicken bouillon
- 796-mL can diced tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/2 red onion , thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp oregano leaves
- 1 small butternut squash , or 500-g pkg squash pieces
- 250 g green beans , about 4 cups
- 1 yellow, orange or red bell pepper
- 500-g bag frozen or fresh tortellini pasta , meat or cheese-filled
- In a large saucepan set over high heat, combine chicken broth with tomatoes and juice, garlic, onion, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, peel squash, then cut into 1/2-inch (1-cm) pieces. Stir into tomato mixture. Boil, uncovered, stirring often, 8 minutes. Meanwhile, trim beans, then slice into thirds. Chop pepper.
- After mixture has boiled and squash is fairly tender, add beans, pepper and tortellini. Stir often until pasta is cooked and beans are tender, 5 to 10 more minutes. Ladle into bowls. Great with chunks of focaccia bread for dunking. Soup keeps well, covered and refrigerated, up to 3 days or freeze up to 2 months. Tortellini soaks up liquid as it sits, so add more chicken broth or water when reheating.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 6.1 g,
- 23.5 g,
- 2.3 g,
- 3 g,
- 601 mg.