This article has not been rated yet.
6 to 8 servings
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 to 2.5 kg beef brisket
- vegetable oil
- 284-mL can undiluted beef broth
- 455-mL bottle chili sauce , or about 2 cups
- 1 cup dry red wine , sherry or port
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar , or honey
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves , or allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground black or cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 250F (130C). Place flour in a large pie plate. Add brisket and turn to lightly coat with flour, then shake off any excess. Lightly coat a large, wide frying pan with oil and set over medium-high heat. When pan is hot, add meat. Part of meat may hang over side of pan. Brown all over, moving and turning meat as needed and adding more oil, if necessary. Remove to a large, shallow-sided roasting pan that is not much larger than meat. Pour broth into frying pan. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up and stir in any brown bits from pan bottom. Add chili sauce, wine, vinegar, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, garlic powder, salt, cloves and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring until mixed. Pour over meat. Seal pan with foil or a lid. Bake in centre of preheated oven, turning meat every 2 hours, until very tender, about 6 hours. Remove meat to a cutting board. Thickly slice and place on a platter. Pour sauce overtop. Great with mashed potatoes, honey-glazed carrots and broccoli. Meat will keep well, covered and refrigerated, up to 5 days.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 44.8 g,
- 27.7 g,
- 44.8 g,
- 4.1 g,
- 1553 mg.