Ginger-rum chocolate ganache cake
This article has not been rated yet.
* PLUS Cooking time: 5 minutes, Refrigeration Time: 180 minutes, Standing Time: 60 minutes, Baking Time: 30 minutes
bittersweet or semi-sweet
2 1/2 cups
, such as devil's food cake, or 2 ready-made 9-in. chocolate cakes
1 1/3 cups
ready-made ginger or orange
- For ganache, coarsely chop chocolate and place in a large bowl. In a saucepan, heat whipping cream until almost boiling (do not let it boil). Pour over chocolate and stir until chocolate is melted. Or place chocolate and whipping cream in a large microwaveable bowl. Stir, then microwave, uncovered, on medium for 4 minutes. Stir and microwave on medium for 3 more minutes. Stir and, unless satiny smooth, return to microwave for 2 more minutes. Stir until smooth. It will be thin. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, just until icing is thick and spreadable, about 3 hours. If left too long, it will be too thick to spread.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350F (180C). Coat 2 (9-inch/23-cm) round cake pans with butter or cooking oil. To prevent sticking, lightly sprinkle pans with cocoa powder. Shake and tap pans to evenly coat, discarding loose cocoa. Prepare cake following package directions, using amount of oil, eggs and water called for. (Amounts given in ingredient list are for 1 popular cake brand.) Bake cakes in centre of 350F (180C) oven until a tester inserted into centre of cakes comes out with no batter clinging to it, from 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in pans on racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on racks. If not assembling right away, wrap cakes in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days
- To assemble cake, slice both cakes in half horizontally to make 4 layers. Place bottom layer of 1 cake, cut-side down, on a serving plate. Take 4 pieces of waxed paper, each about 5 inches (13 cm) long, and fold in half lengthwise. Tuck folded sides under edge of cake layer on plate so they will catch drips when cake is iced. Place other layers on a sheet of waxed paper, cut-side down. (It is difficult to brush marmalade on a crumb side.) Brush tops with rum until all is used.
- For easy spreading, microwave marmalade on high for 30 to 60 seconds. Spread about 1/4 cup (50 mL) marmalade on each of 3 cake layers, including layer on plate. Don’t spread on layer that will be used for top of cake. Place about a quarter of ganache on layer on plate and spread evenly to edges. Top with another cake layer, marmalade-side up. Spread with a quarter of ganache. Top with another cake layer, marmalade-side up. Spread with a quarter of ganache. Top with last layer, placing cut-side down. Lightly and smoothly ice sides with a little ganache.
- Heat remaining ganache in microwave on high just until pourable but still thick, about 30 seconds. Pour over top of cake to form a smooth coating, letting some drip over sides. Slip waxed paper out from under cake. Let stand at room temperature for about 1 hour for easy serving or refrigerate up to 1 day.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 10.8 g,
- 65 g,
- 62.8 g,
- 12.1 g,
- 236 mg.
A rum soaking and ginger spread produces a cake that’s intensely moist and the chocolate cream filling oozes richness.