Chunky clam chowderBy Chatelaine
Set out this steamy chowder for dinner and the spoons will be hitting the bottom of the bowl in record time.
- 3 slices bacon , finely chopped
- 2 carrots , peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk , chopped
- 1 yellow potato , peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 onion , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups Clamato juice
- 1 cup water
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 142-g can baby clams
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- dash Tabasco sauce
- HEAT a large saucepan over medium-high. Add bacon slices. Cook, stirring often, until bacon is crisp, about 5 min. Remove bacon, leaving fat in saucepan. Add carrots, celery stalk, yellow potato, onion, garlic cloves and tomato paste. Cook until onion is tender, 3 to 5 min. Add Clamato, water and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, about 30 min.
- STIR in baby clams. Garnish with reserved bacon and parsley. Add a dash of Tabasco.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 9 g,
- 33 g,
- 8 g,
- 3 g,
- 718 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin A
Pair it with: A modern chardonnay.
With a more reserved style than Wolf Blass has previously been known for, this contemporary, food-friendly chardonnay exhibits refreshing citrus alongside a punch of ginger spice and candied lemon, with restrained oak nuances.
Our pick: Wolf Blass Chardonnay, Australia, $15.