This is one of the richest chocolate icings and is often used by chefs for fine pastries.
This article has not been rated yet.
4 cups (1 L), enough for a 9-inch (23-cm) double layer cake
- 8 squares semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups sifted icing sugar
- 3 tbsp hot strong coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/3 cups unsalted butter , at room temperature
- Coarsely cut chocolate into pieces. In a small heavy-bottomed saucepan set over low heat, melt chocolate, removing from heat while small pieces of chocolate are still visible, about 5 minutes. Stir until smooth, then cool to lukewarm. Or place chocolate in a dish. Microwave, uncovered, on medium until chocolate is almost, but not completely melted, from 5 to 6 minutes. Then stir until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg yolks until smooth. Gradually add icing sugar, beating with an electric mixer or whisk until thick and lemon coloured, about 5 minutes. While beating consistantly, add hot coffee and vanilla. Then beat in warm melted chocolate. Again beating constantly, gradually add butter in 4 or 5 additions, beating smooth after each addition. Beat for 2 more minutes. Icing is best used right away to ice a layer or sheet cake.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 0.4 g,
- 5.3 g,
- 5.4 g,
- 0.2 g,
- 2 mg.