Updated Mar 1, 2019Chatelaine
- MEASURE flours, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Stir with a fork until well blended. Crumble in sugar. Stir until mixed. Then push mixture to edges, making a well in centre. In another bowl, whisk eggs with 2 cups milk, lemon peel and vanilla. Pour into well and add butter. Stir just until evenly moistened. Stir in blueberries.
- HEAT a large frying pan set over medium heat until hot. Lightly butter, oil or coat pan with cooking spray. If batter is or becomes very thick or you wish thinner pancakes, stir in some or all of remaining milk.
- USING a 1/4-cup measure and cooking 2 pancakes at once, pour batter into hot frying pan. (Save time by cooking in 2 pans simultaneously or on a griddle.) Cook until pancake surface is covered with bubbles and edges are no longer glossy, about 2 minutes.
- TURN and cook other side until pancakes are well puffed and underside is golden, about another 2 minutes. Serve as soon as they come out of pan or keep warm, uncovered, in oven. Top with yogurt, maple syrup or for a substantial meal, with cinnamon-dusted, low-fat cottage cheese and berries.
- Tip: Use small wild blueberries for the best flavour and texture. Or cut large cultivated berries in half before adding. Frozen blueberries are best used without defrosting. To avoid berries colouring the batter purple, place frozen berries in a sieve and rinse under cold running water. Pat dry with a paper towel and use right away.
NutritionCalories 111, Protein 3 g, Carbohydrates 20 g, Fat 2 g, Fibre 2 g, Sodium 158 mg.
How to make perfect pancakes