Beefy barley soupBy Chatelaine
A hearty, homemade and truly warming soup.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 227-g pkg cremini mushrooms , quartered
- 796-mL can diced tomatoes , drained
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 900-mL carton no-salt beef broth
- 300 g beef tenderloin grilling steak , cut into small cubes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Heat a large pot over medium-high. Add oil, then onion and garlic. Cook until onion starts to soften, about 2 min.
- Add mushrooms, tomatoes, barley, bay leaves and oregano. Cook until mushrooms are soft, about 3 min. Add broth, beef and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, partially covered, until barley is tender, 25 to 35 min. Remove and discard bay leaves before serving.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 22 g,
- 34 g,
- 8 g,
- 5 g,
- 640 mg.
Named after the town of Avola in Sicily, the nero d’Avola grape is often compared to syrah or shiraz. This example bursts with deep, dark cherries, bright plums and wonderfully ripe tannins that work well with wintry soups. Our pick: Cusumano Nero d’Avola, Italy, $18.