This refreshing soup is summer comfort food with a healthy twist–and it’s a great way to use ripe tomatoes from the garden. Dish it up the day it’s made–the freshness of the tomatoes and fragrance of the ripe peaches are outstanding together. Warm, grilled Cambozola toasts make a decadent accompaniment.
This article has not been rated yet.
5 cups (1.25 L), for 5 servings
- 3 ripe peaches
- 1 jalapeno , or 1/2 tsp hot-red-chili-flakes
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup peach juice , or peach nectar
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 to 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 baguette
- 125 g cambozola
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- Slice peaches in half and discard pits. Core and seed jalapeño, then coarsely chop. Cut tomatoes into large chunks. Place peaches and jalapeño in bowl of a food processor. Whirl until fruit is puréed. Pour in 1/2 cup (125 mL) juice. Whirl until mixture is smooth. Add tomatoes and coriander. Pulse until tomatoes are chopped and soup is as thick as you like.
- If soup is too thick, whirl in remaining 1/4 cup (50 mL) juice. Stir in 1 tablespoon (15 mL) lime juice, salt and pepper. Taste, then add more lime juice, if needed. Cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 3 hours or overnight. Soup will keep well at least 1 day. If you’re in a hurry, place in freezer to quickly chill and check often.
- Meanwhile, to make toasts, slice 10 rounds, about n inch (1 cm) thick, from baguette. Slice cheese into 10 pieces about 1/4 inch (0.5 cm) thick. In a small bowl, stir olive oil with garlic and set aside for baguette. Just before serving, lightly oil grill and heat barbecue to medium-high. Lightly brush both sides of baguette slices with garlic oil. Place on barbecue and grill, uncovered, until bottom is lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Turn baguette slices and immediately top each with a piece of cheese. Continue grilling just until cheese starts to melt, 30 to 60 seconds. Ladle soup into chilled bowls or large martini glasses. Serve immediately with 1 or 2 Cambozola toasts.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 8.4 g,
- 29.1 g,
- 17 g,
- 2.9 g,
- 806 mg.