Marmite French Onion SoupBy Chatelaine
In this French onion soup recipe, the British classic Marmite is the star of the dish, adding a punchy, beeflike flavour. Top this hearty soup with plant-based cheesy baguette slices.
- 4 tbsp olive oil , divided
- 5 onions , very thinly sliced, about 750 g
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/3 cup sherry , or apera
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp Marmite , or Vegemite
- 1/2 tsp five-spice powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 900-mL pkg mushroom broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 demi-baguette , cut in eight 1/2-in. thick slices
- 200 g plant-based mozzarella-style cheese , grated
- Heat a pot over medium. Add 3 tbsp oil, and then onions and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft and caramelized, 30 to 35 min. Reduce heat if they are browning too quickly.
- Add sherry, Dijon, Marmite, five-spice powder and pepper. Stir, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pot. Pour in broth and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 min. Discard thyme sprigs.
- Position rack in top third of oven and preheat broiler. Brush both sides of baguette slices with remaining 1 tbsp oil. Arrange on a baking sheet. Broil until toasted, 30 sec to 1 min per side.
- Place 4 ovenproof soup bowls on another baking sheet. Ladle in soup. Top each with 2 toasts. Top toasts with cheese. Broil until cheese is melted, 1 to 2 min. Sprinkle with more fresh thyme, if desired. Serve immediately.
Marmite and Vegemite are thick, dark, sticky pastes made from yeast extract, a by-product of beer brewing. Marmite is a British food product, while Vegemite hails from Australia. Both are intensely salty and savoury, and add a slight beeflike flavour to mushroom broth.
A mozzarella-style vegan cheese will give you the melty texture that’s typical of French onion soup, but feel free to use any plant-based cheese you prefer.