Charred Onion StockBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
This two-step onion stock, when used in place of water or vegetable stock, can deepen both the colour and flavour of any recipe.—Jess Maiorano
- olive oil , as needed
- 8 cooking onions , peeled and halved
- 4 shallots , peeled and halved
- 1 1⁄2 fennel bulbs , cut in 1-in. pcs
- 12 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch parsley stems , save leaves for ragu
- 2 tsp peppercorns
- On a cast iron pan brushed with oil, char onions on cut sides until lightly blackened.
- Add to a large pot along with remaining ingredients and cover with 4 L water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 1 hr. Strain.