Broccoli Pistou SoupBy Chatelaine
This fresh take on broccoli soup is packed with hearty vegetables including acorn squash and celery.
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup olive oil , divided
- 2 celery stalks , finely diced, leaves reserved
- 1 onion , finely diced
- 1 900-mL carton vegetable broth
- 1 540-mL can cannellini beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 cup dried fusilli pasta
- 1/2 small acorn squash , cut lengthwise in quarters and sliced 1/4-in. thick
- 1/3 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Boil a large pot of water. Add broccoli and cook just until tender, 2 min. Drain and set aside.
- Heat same pot over medium. Add 1 tbsp oil, then celery and onion. Cook until softened, 4 to 5 min. Stir in broth, 1 cup water, beans, pasta and squash. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, until pasta and squash are tender, 10 to 11 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pulse broccoli with cheese, lemon juice, garlic and salt in a food processor until finely chopped. With motor still running, add remaining 3 tbsp oil and whirl until smooth. 4. Ladle soup into bowls and top with broccoli pistou. Garnish with reserved celery leaves.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with broccoli pistou. Garnish with reserved celery leaves.
Pistou is a condiment similar to an Italian pesto, but without pine nuts.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 11 g,
- 43 g,
- 16 g,
- 9 g,
- 1130 mg.