Toasted Coconut Rhum ButterBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
1 1⁄4 cups
A boozy, classic spread that connects the origins of coconut and the historical significance of rhum. These two natural resources have a shared history of the people who celebrate them and our plight with colonization. The toasted coconut flakes add crunch while the nutmeg adds warming, seasonal spice.—Suzanne Barr
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , room temperature
- 1/2 cup rhum , or any rum variety
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place coconut flakes on a baking sheet and toast until golden brown, 3 to 5 min. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, place butter in a medium bowl. Using an electric mixer on medium, cream butter until it reaches a whipped consistency, 2 to 3 min.
- Add coconut flakes, rhum, sugar and salt and beat on low until combined, 3 min. Add nutmeg and mix again on low for 1 min. Place in an airtight container and chill until serving.
While ground nutmeg works well in this recipe, if you have fresh nutmeg at home, we suggest using it for even more flavour.